Prepare: Medical Assistant
Medical Assistant Courses
How can I access this resource?
Courses are provided through Coursera. You may qualify for a Coursera enrollment if you:
- Live in New York City
- Are 18 years of age or older
- Have access to the internet
- Have access to a computer or smart device
What will I learn?
- Career 911: Your Future Job in Medicine and Healthcare: This course will introduce you to healthcare professions and help you map a path towards a health career. The course will also provide an introduction to crafting your resume and cover letter.
- Clinical Terminology: This course will help you develop a better understanding of common terms and abbreviations used by healthcare providers in hospitals and healthcare settings. You will learn about acronyms used when discussing bodily systems, patient vital signs and medical history, laboratory tests, and electronic medical records.
- Introductory Human Physiology: This course will help you understand the basic concepts of the human body’s various organ systems: cardiovascular, endocrine, gastrointestinal, nervous, muscular, reproductive, respiratory, and urinary systems.
What do I need?
A desktop computer, laptop, tablet, or mobile device with internet to access training courses. No prior experience in healthcare is required.
How long will this take?
Courses vary in length from 15-30 hours. You do not need to complete all three courses nor do you need to complete these courses to apply for an Individual Training Grant (ITG). These optional introductory courses will expose you to key concepts that are covered in more depth during a typical medical assistant training.
- Career 911: Your Future Job in Medicine and Healthcare: 15 hours
- Clinical Terminology: 15 hours
- Introductory Human Physiology: 27 hours
What can I do after completing these courses?
After completing these courses, you are encouraged to register for services with our Workforce1 Career Centers and meet with a Career Advisor to see if you’re a good fit for Medical Assistant Training with an Individual Training Grant.
How do I apply?
Please complete the enrollment form below to receive access to the training courses.